Lorazepam and Alprazolam are the generic names of Ativan and Xanax; they belong to the benzodiazepines drug class. This category is primarily aimed at treating anxiety and other chronic conditions. Some people who get panic attacks in the middle of work or get anxiety issues are curated using these medications. Also, physicians may recommend you to buy Ativan and Xanax for individuals who find it difficult to fall asleep.
Although they belong to the same family, there are some similarities and few differences between Ativan and Xanax. This article will help you identify their mechanism, usage, how they perform, and their reactions when interacting with the human body, including ill-effects and mistreatment. Doctors examine the best medication which suits you based on the pharmacological components.
What are the similarities between Ativan and Xanax?
Both of them are used for treating similar disorders related to the central nervous system. They possess an anti-depressants effect that helps a person feel less stress, anxiety, depression, tension, or muscle strain.
They share a common mechanism of action, which is on the peripheral nervous system. Ativan and Xanax result in suppressing the excess neuron stimulation, leading to a decrease in fear and anxiety. Both of them share a list of side effects such as drowsiness, euphoria, unconsciousness, or sedation, which can be accelerated when combined with other anti-depressants and alcohol.
Another vital messenger called GABA is a neurochemical used to exchange the messages in the nerves and the brain. Many researchers have noted that these drugs help improve the GABA effects, which lead to the development of calming sensations in your mind.
Is Ativan stronger than Xanax? Ativan takes a little longer to work than Xanax. The properties to release its effect are lengthy, but it is more sustainable as compared to Xanax. Therefore, for those who require immediate action them Xanax is feasible, and for others who need lower and long-lasting effects than Ativan is the best option.
How addictive is Ativan than Xanax? Until now, there are no cases identified with Ativan being more addictive than Xanax or vice versa. Both the medications have equal potency for addiction or dependency. Sudden stoppage of both the drugs may cause harmful withdrawal signs, depending upon its prolonged duration.
What are the main differences between Ativan and Xanax?
The main difference between both benzodiazepine drugs is Ativan excretes from the system slowly, diminishing the chance of addiction due to its lower toxicity rates. Ativan also has lesser harmful interactions with other drugs in contrast with Xanax. A single oral intake of Ativan takes about two hours to show its efficacy, whereas Xanax displays its concentration in the bloodstream within one to two hours.
- The half-life of Ativan: As its mechanism is slower, the components also take more time to leave from the human system. The average half-life of Ativan is twelve hours, which may extend up to eighteen hours for those with hepatic impairment (liver disorder).
- The half-life of Xanax: The half-life of Xanax is faster; it usually takes eleven hours to excrete from the kidney.
What does generic Ativan look like?
An Ativan tablet is available in three different strengths manufactured by Pfizer Medical Information based in Canada.
- 5 mg: It is a small circular shape tablet coated with off-white color, which has the number 321 imprinted on one side and “M” on the other side.
- 1mg: The 1mg is also round in shape, available in white, green, blue, purple, or violet color.
- 2 mg: This tablet comes with two imprints; one has R engraved over 774 on the side, and another 2mg has MP marked over 96. The color is off-white with a circular shape.
- 5 mg: It comes in solid form with pink, orange or yellow color, and for liquid form, a solution is available in 2m/ml – 4mg/ml injection.
What does generic Xanax look like?
Xanax pill is available in three varied strengths manufactured by Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals.
- 25 mg: The pill comes in white color with an oval shape, marked with XANAX 0.25 on one side.
- 5 mg: It is an orange color pill, elliptical with XANAX 0.5 engraved on it.
- 1mg: An oval tablet, blue in color with XANAX 1.0 imprinted on it.
With the help of color, you may quickly identify the strength of the tablet. The capsule form is deficient in number.
Conditions treated by Ativan and Xanax.
As both the drugs have some pharmacological background, they share homogenous health conditions related to the psychological region. Ativan and Xanax have received approval from Food and Drug Administrations to treat syndromes pertaining to:
- Ativan: Seizures, anxiety, anesthesia, muscle spasm, insomnia, bipolar disease, nausea linked to post-operative surgery, and alcohol addiction.
- Xanax: Depression, episodes of stress, anxiety, fear, panic attacks, and anxiousness.
Is Ativan or Xanax more effective?
Generalized anxiety disorder is efficiently treated using both of these medicines. They perform well on the physical and psychological level that gives a person relief. Most physicians use them to treat severe panic attacks.
Also, in comparison with other anti-depressants, both of these drugs show results with an hour after consumption which make sit popular among users. People dealing with adverse symptoms related to anxiety or seizures opt for any of these medications to recover faster.
However, along with its effectiveness, it has drawbacks such as headache, loss of memory, drowsiness, or other ill reaction. Therefore, your doctor will select the best among these two, which will have more benefits and lesser side effects.
Coverage and cost comparison of Ativan vs. Xanax
Insurance coverage for Lorazepam and Alprazolam helps a patient to save some amount on the final payment. Different brand names come under an umbrella of these generic names, but not all are covered under an insurance policy. In the case of Ativan, the insurance coverage is not available or is covered with an additional fee. Also, Xanax might not be covered under the insurance scheme or liable after additional co-pay.
How much does Ativan cost? 1mg blister comes with 30 tablets that value $24, whereas Xanax is at 0.5mg with a strip of 60 tablet values for $33. If you want to save on the purchase cost, then visit an online pharmacy and avail discounted offers.
Common side effects of Ativan vs. Xanax
Both medicines have common side effects, which vary based on the dose and duration. Some of the usual effects include drowsiness, weakness, head pain, gastrointestinal effects, or sedative feeling.
Lack of memory, fatigue, depression, negative thoughts, suicidal attempt, seizures, dry mouth, blurred eyesight, vertigo, fumbling, reduced orgasm, respiratory depression, obstructive sleep apnea, coma, or death. If you observe any of the above effects, do consult your physician for immediate help.
Drug interactions of Ativan vs. Xanax
Ativan and Xanax should not be paired with other painkillers from non-benzodiazepines and opioids class of drugs. As they also work as an anti-anxiety pill, it might increase the prospect for respiratory depression, lower pulse rate, psychological disturbance, overdose.
You should also avoid alcohol or other supplements to prevent drug interactions. Specifically, do not combine opioids, benzodiazepines, and muscle relaxants, as this trinity might lead to coma or even death.
If your health condition is not improving with other combinations, your doctor may prescribe at lower doses for an acute term and may also administer closely to avoid severe interaction.
Warnings of Ativan and Xanax
The warning box act as a written alarm that becomes handy for the patient to read and follow the instructions. Both of them has standard warning displayed:
- Higher doses may lead to physical and mental dependency.
- A sudden stoppage is not advised; instead, gradually tapered.
- Observe the withdrawal symptoms such as seizures, vertigo, or irregular breathing and report to your doctor.
- Risk of suicide attempt among depressed patients.
- Sleep apnea and asthma patients should be closely examined.
- Liver damage in patients with hepatic impairment.
- Avoid using during pregnancy and lactation.
- Liver disorder falls, accidents, fractures, delirium in the case of older people.
If you find any other reaction, which gives you discomfort or an uneasy feeling, please seek professional help. Do not recommend any of the medications to your family or colleagues based on your personal preference. Instead, accompany them to the doctor’s place for wiser decision-making.